Why on earth would we want friends like this?
Because they're super smart. We think it's because they all had someone to read
aloud to them in the early years of their lives and subsequently spent a lifetime
proving the impact of reading aloud upon a child's literacy, as evidenced by their
super-smartness. But that's just a guess.
What is Their Mission?
Preparing America's youngest children to succeed in school by partnering with doctors to prescribe books and encourage families to read together.
Read the interview with Reach Out and Read CEO Earl Martin
on our Storyblogger!
What Do They Do?
Reach Out and Read is an evidence based nonprofit organization promoting early literacy and
school readiness in pediatric exam rooms nationwide, through children's books and advice to
parents about the importance of reading aloud. This is how it's done:
What are the Top 3 Facts About Their Research?
- 14 Published Research Studies
- 28,000 Doctors, Nurses and Medical Providers
- Over 4700 Hospitals, Clinics and Medical Practices
- Over 20% of Pediatricians in the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP)
- 3.9 Million Children and their Families
- Thousands of Volunteers
- Reading aloud to children is the single most effective tool for developing language and literacy.
- The 3.9 million children served by Reach Out and Read enter kindergarten with a 6 month developmental edge.
- Currently, 34% of children enter kindergarten without the basic language skills they will need to learn to read.
And Bonus Fact! Reach Out and Read is promoted by First Lady Michelle Obama and Dr. Jill
Biden in their Joining Forces
initiative to serve 200,000 military families by 2013.
What Can I Do?
Make a Donation
to this research driven mission!
Parents and Educators
can share and promote these key programs in their communities and schools.
can implement these key programs at their facility.